Harvesting

On a recent late summer afternoon, I spent a little time on our back deck doing a little harvesting.

Plenty of wearable, out-grown kids’ clothes go to our local op shops. Some are too favoured to be let go. Some are just too full of possibilities.

The beauty of taking my time to do this is letting the look and feel of the fabric shift my view from ‘this was a shirt’ to ‘this could be…’

I cut up a complimentary spring green shirt and wondered about a cot quilt. Some softly worn trouser fabric as backing, perhaps.

What’s not to love about this kind of harvesting? It’s thrifty, eco-friendly and gets the creative juices flowing.

 

Advertisements

When is a UFO a WIP?

The yay-ness factor of terminating the UFOs diminished slightly when I discovered that the sleeves for my Red Oak jacket were at least two sizes too small.

But I faltered only slightly before ripping them out and starting over.

I have finished all the turned up hems, finished the edges of the jacket and given thought to closures. I think I’ll go for hidden hook and eyes rather than the duffle coat look. All in all, not too bad.

It does make me wonder the tipping point between UFO and WIP. Looking through my projects on Ravelry I’m thinking it’s 85%. Before that you’re still likely to be working through sleeves and what not; after that I think you’re contemplating all the seaming which is where I can stop. It’s not intentional, it’s just one of those things where I wait until the weekend because seaming on public transport is not recommended.

So of dozen UFOs I uncovered, perhaps I can shift two or three to the WIP pile. It makes me feel a little better.

Terminating the UFOs

I started on a tidy up of my sewing/knitting/make anything room yesterday. I cleared possibly 1sqm of space and came up with no less than one dozen unfinished objects.

So I’ve decided that an absolutely necessary part of this clean up will be terminating the UFOs. I made a start last night on my Red Oak jacket – so close to finishing that all I had to do was find the remaining balls of wool, finish the collar and seam. Already up to the seaming!

As part of my return to regular blogging and a motivation to keep tidying up, I’ll post on my terminator progress.

***

Like everyone else, we’ve been shocked at the destruction first in Christchurch and now in Japan. We’re pretty strict on not letting the kids watch or hear too much of the news about these kinds of events – it’s too easy for them to be overwhelmed  or to think the event is repeating or will happen to them. We explain what’s happened, what’s being done to help and so forth. We’ll select a news video on YouTube for example, one we’ve already checked, and talk them through that.

There’s usually plenty of questions and we do our best to answer those. A Montessori curriculum helps here – they have an above average general science knowledge – so our discussions can be clear, factual and reassuring. Being on the most geologically stable continent on earth helps since our two our natural worriers.

But yesterday I saw something that I hadn’t seen before. The lass has a self-assemble doll house and she had that set up, full of furniture and her very small pets. A friend was over yesterday and I heard them chatting about the earthquake in Japan. The friends’ mother had been in Japan recently on a business trip and there was talk of ‘I’m glad it didn’t happen while she was there’. I recalled also that I had spoken of Christchurch – I visited during a conference some years ago – and how beautiful it was.

Sometime during the afternoon I realised the dollhouse was a ramshackle mess, missing walls etc. I asked later what had happened. ‘An earthquake’ the lass calmly explained.

I took a closer look later and realised all the inhabitants had been moved out before the earthquake.