Trousers!

After three failed attempts and one barely passable attempt, I have finally made a pair of trousers that fit and can be worn in public. I started off this particular pair with the decision to draft my own pattern – and that was about three or four months ago. I stalled after the muslin was altered but then the second draft/actual trousers didn’t work. I seemed to be going around in circles, getting one bit right, then stuffing up another bit. So I left it and did other stuff.

Until someone on BurdaStyle posted trouser slopers for each size. Checked the sizing, printed out the pattern, checked out the sizing again and it was beautiful – a trouser pattern that required only the most minor of adjustments. I was more conscientous this time and repeated the muslin stage until I knew I had the right fit. As a sloper (a personal measurement draft, really) it didn’t have instructions or full pattern pieces such as facing, waistband or pockets. But it was pretty straightforward to draft some facing and I don’t go for waistbands or pockets anyway.

From muslin to trousers

From muslin to trousers

Preparing the facing: trace pattern, remove darts.

Preparing the facing: trace pattern, remove darts.

Bring dart edges together and trace out new piece.

Bring dart edges together and trace out new piece.

Facing and waistband pieces

Facing and waistband pieces

The final trouser pattern makes a good shell for a skirt pattern.

The final trouser pattern makes a good shell for a skirt pattern.

So now I can knock up some more trousers – a pair in an afternoon – and I know just how much fabric I need for a pair. Quietly triumphant, I was. But I don’t have a photo of the finished piece yet because I’ve been too busy wearing them to work. I’ll entice the lad into some more fashion photography this weekend and have something for you in a few days.

I’ll get round to transferring the pattern pieces onto pattern card eventually but I do enjoy the convenience of fabric pattern pieces. They just stay there, perfectly aligned, and then you can cut without pinning. I did find out that I hadn’t quite enough fabric so the hem pretty minimal. I’m thinking of adding a faux cuff with some tone on tone embroidery, just to glam them up a bit. We’ll see – I do want to do it but there’s that thing about my to do list being possibly being a little bit longer than the time available.

Advertisements